Before I delve into describing the humanoid entity known as Josh, I’d like to take a bit of time to note that I absolutely love the concept of an “About Me” page. Admittedly, I’m as narcissistic and self-centered as the next person. After all, we experience the universe through our five senses and interpret events through the filter of our personal experiences; in essence, we live through our own concepts of self. So, in celebration of humanity’s dedication to the self, I will start this bald exercise in ego-centrism.
My name is Joshua Derke. The idea for this blog came about when I made a curious discovery: “A Rushed Joke” is an anagram for my name. For some time I had planned to start a blog and write about the things that interest me for an audience who decided I was worth reading. “A Rushed Joke” provided a name for the constellation of ideas that led to this blog.
For most of my life I have been a student of some sort (what some craven sociologists probably don’t refer to as penniless mooching bums). Ever since I was a small child I wanted to be either a mad scientist or one of those cool people who conquer the world and then rule it with an iron fist of steady and competent disinterest. Unfortunately, life isn’t like a game of Risk. Life is more like a buzzing alarm clock with no snooze button.
My main interests are politics, science, science fiction (hard, space opera, time-travel–really, any kind of science fiction), video games, writing, literature, comics (graphic novels, one-panels, superhero comics, etc.), movies, and many other things. Basically, my interests are varied and I didn’t want to take my precious time listing all of them (and I suppose yours, but this isn’t about you, is it?).
I graduated from the University of Michigan in April of 2011 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Language and Literature. I have also achieved certification as a nurse aide. More recently I ran as the Democratic Candidate for State Representative for Michigan’s 93rd State House District, in the years 2014 and 2016.
My time at the University of Michigan has been filled with exciting adventures and great learning experiences, which include:
- A position as a Staff Writer for the storied and famous Gargoyle Humor Magazine for three years.
- Involvement in the LOL ROFL Comedy Club (an improv and stand-up comedy group) as an officer and performer.
- Dabbling in stand-up comedy by participating in Chili Challis’ Comedy Dojo and performing at the Ann Arbor Comedy Showcase.
- Stage Acting at the Walgreen Drama Center.
- Performing as an extra for the Michigan Creative Film Alliance’s movie “Appleville.”
- Work coding science-fiction short stories and magazine covers as a member of the University of Michigan Genre Evolution Project, working with GEP co-founder Professor Eric S. Rabkin.
- Work in political campaigns, most notably that of President Barack Obama in 2008, and for his 2012 reelection campaign.
- Work for Environment Michigan, collecting donations and raising awareness of vital environmental issues.
Well, I suppose that’s enough self-indulgent claptrap for now (I love compound words, by the way, and you should too). If you’d like to reach me by e-mail, send a message full of praise, disdain, or unhinged rantings to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can find my LinkedIn profile here.
If you’re interested in politics, head on over to the Josh Derke Facebook page and give it a “like.”